Anthony & Angie

Anthony & Angie

Monday, February 13, 2012

I don't want to go to school today said little Peggy Ann McKay

I love that poem.  Shel Silverstein is a genius.  But seriously, I didn't want to go to school today.  We had a blizzard in NE Oklahoma.


Maybe the term blizzard is a little strong.  But it did snow.  And it was more than a little dusting.  As far as the city of Bartlesville is concerned, it's a blizzard.  I've heard the roads are not ideal for driving on.  It's a death trap as far as I'm concerned.  I was worried all night that I'd actually have to get up this morning and go to work.  My suspicions were confirmed this morning when I saw the regularly scheduled flashing school bus lights through my window at 6:30 a.m.  Thinking that perhaps it was a fluke, a figment of my imagination, or a lost school bus driver from a neighboring community, I also checked the news.  I wanted to be thorough.  Indeed, school was still on.  Sadness ensued.  But then I decided that I wasn't braving the treacherous weather and we stayed home.  Texted the boss, e-mailed the kids school, and crawled back in bed.
Anthony, however, was not so lucky.  He had to be to work in Tulsa at 7 a.m.  He had to leave the house at 6 a.m.  What is normally a 30 minute commute for him turned into a 50+ minute commute.  He was still alive the last time I spoke to him.  He hasn't answered my last text though....


The kids decided to watch Rio this morning.  They didn't know I existed.  All they knew was no school and television.  Until their tummies grumbled that is.  Then I mentioned oatmeal for breakfast and I suddenly ceased to exist yet again.  Fickle children.

I attempted the unknown last night.  Pot Roast.
I don't really like pot roast.  But my husband does.  And I like him (mostly), and I want my children to grow up eating gross food so that they don't think it's quite so gross when they grow up (like pot roast and spaghetti.  eww.).  We invited my parents and Anthony's mom over for the amazing pot roast dinner.  Yeah.... it didn't quite turn out.
I put the pot roast in the crock pot after church - by about 1 it was ready and slow cooking.  We invited the parents to come over at 5:30.
5:30 - pot roast not close to ready.
6:00 - pot roast still not ready.  We decided to have FHE first, then eat dinner later.  Surely the pot roast would be ready by then.
6:45 - pot roast STILL not ready.  I don't know who this piece of meat thinks it is. -_-
6:50 - pot roast still not ready.  It has been poked repeatedly (like every 5 minutes) over the past 2 hours.  The pot roast was apparently not intimidated by my threats.
6:51 - we decide to have frozen burritos along with grilled cheese for dinner.  Oh, and mashed potatoes.  Why waste good potatoes?
7:15 - mashed potatoes STILL not ready.  I put them on before FHE.  Really???  Why is the universe working against me.
7:27 - I think the potatoes are ready.  Maybe?  Lets just mash them and see.
7:28 - My mom has sympathy on me and my struggling biceps.  She steps in to mash the undercooked potatoes.
7:40 - we're all done eating.  The parents bow out gracefully and have the decency to laugh at my failed cooking attempts in their cars instead of my house.

Also, we're having the pot roast for dinner tonight.  It was finally done cooking at approximately the end of time last night (about 9 p.m.).

I hate beef,
Angie

1 comment:

  1. Bah ha ha! I'll take frozen burritos over pot roast any day! Next time you'll know to go with the Dorito casserole. :)

    ReplyDelete